Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Jinxed?

I'm starting to worry about the rate at which my electrical devices are biting the dust. After the washing machine fiasco, I managed to kill my mobile phone on Sunday night with a flask of tea, which leaked inside my bag on the way to yet another local summer festival. No sooner had I invested in a new phone than my webcam started playing up, turning itself off within three seconds every time I connected it. Our internet connection suddenly went on the blink on Sunday too, necessitating some frantic rooting among the detritus of empty computer peripheral boxes for a manual with the NTT technical support number on the back.

It's a good job the boys and I are off camping tomorrow with another international family for a couple of days, to give the jinx or whatever it is time to lift before something really vital packs up. Though I think Kentaro would forgive me anything except the dishwasher. Clearing up after meals is his job on those evenings when he's home in time to eat, so if I did anything to that particular machine we'd be in big trouble.

4 comments:

Isabelle said...

Hope you have a lovely time camping -- and maybe the jinx will have worn off by the time you come back... Looking forward to the photos!

coarse gold girl said...

Killing off electrical appliances huh? I've been busy killing off fish. The girls with the help of DH hauled home a total of twenty one from the local Matsuri. . . before we left home that day they had watched the kingyo catching championship on T.V.(BIIIIGGGG mistake) so everyone was over the top enthusiastic to go catch fish! Just before bed I had to give a farewell flush to a black googly eyed one and first thing this a.m. another farewell flush to a gold fish.

Hope camping revived you and gave you a much needed break from all the demands that technology can ironically place on us!

Laura

Shahrzad said...

hi dear new friend,

wow...seems everything has started to be a little playful there! lol...
Wish you wonderful time in camping.

Claire said...

Thanks, gals! Camping was great. I didn't take the digital camera because I was too afraid of what sand and water might do to it, given my current record - but I did get a couple of photos on my new mobile phone.

Our festival goldfish from this year have also been dying off, Laura - we now have one left out of five. That one's looking pretty playful, though, so if it's still all right when we come back again from holiday next week it can join its friends in the big tank.

Sharzhad, welcome! I love the stories on your blog.