Monday, February 11, 2008

Catching up (1): Skating

I'm going to try and post every day or two this week, to catch up on what's been happening with us this year so far. To start with, here's a clip of the boys and Kentaro on the ice, taken in January when we visited Kentaro's parents after coming back from England. Though there's no rink within easy distance of where we live, there's one very close to their house, and skating has become one of our regular activities whenever we visit in winter. The boys' different personalities are really apparent here: Dan toddles quietly around like a little penguin as he concentrates on staying upright, while Kei swoops,cavorts, twirls, and frequently falls flat on his bottom. Solid achievement versus thrills and spills - if this carries on into adulthood, it's easy to imagine who's more likely to have the conventional career, and who is going to have an unpredictable, rollercoaster ride in life. (Note to self: MUST stop pigeonholing these boys according to my own narrative of who they are, before they start to believe it themselves...)


4 comments:

shinshu life said...

That's such a gorgeous video Claire!!

I see what you mean about different personalities. How about you and your husband? I'm afraid DH and I are both penguins. :(

Heather

Claire said...

Thanks, Heather! DH is a swooper, but me, I'm a bit of a penguin. It comes out most clearly in our driving styles. We hate being in the car together, as I think his driving is dangerously fast and reckless, while he reckons I'm so cautious I'm a road hazard. We're off to the snow tomorrow afternoon, a three-hour drive each way - I wonder how far we'll get before the first argument breaks out? Wish us luck ;-)

coarse gold girl said...

Hey, Kei is quite the skater! And Dan waddles with skill.

I can't stand in the damn things.

Have never taken the girls, though they beg to go. Must get to that, but I have to confess, I hate the idea of putting skates as much as the idea of say, joining a golf club.

Laura

coarse gold girl said...

P.S.
I was so excited to see your DH. It is the second time in my life that I have seen him (only once in person)!

Laura